The letter to Hillary Clinton.


Back to index here

This is a letter written because of Bill's and Hillary's Clinton's visit to Iceland.

To the New York State Senator Mrs. Hillary Rodham Clinton from Ingimundur Kjarval because of her visit to Iceland.

Delhi N.Y. 19. August. 2004.

Dear Mrs. Clinton. We live in Delhi N.Y. trying to farm, a difficult endeavor these days in New York State as you know, not too far from where Senator Moynihan used to live, me, my wife and our four daughters, one of them attending Delaware Academy you visited a short while ago.
The reason for this hastily written letter is I just learned you are on your way to Iceland. Me a citizen both of Iceland and the United States feel I have something to tell you.
I am very happy you and your husband are visiting Iceland to strengthen friendship between our two nations, an issue dear to my heart as I have written extensively about and the animosity in Europe towards the States, a concern of mine.
In due course I intended to write you about my family's case, but when I found out about your trip I thought I should write now.
My grandfather "Johannes Kjarval" was a artist painter in Iceland loved by the nation, even Bjork the Icelandic singer composed a piece with his name and a Museum was built for his works now a part of the City museum of Reykjavik named"Kjarvalsstadir".
Two months prior to his hospitalization due to old age, the City of Reykjavik emptied his studio and took over 5000 of his works plus 153 boxes of his personal belongings in secret, claiming later he gave it verbally to the mayor (neither my grandfather nor the mayor signed any documents confirming this "gift").
My family has for years tried to make this right but not until now is it to go to the courts though I fear it will not be treated fairly by the Icelandic justice system, this case being to big and cutting too close to those in power.
Anybody you talk to in the Iceland will know of this case, my family and me. My only wish at this time you express your concerns and hope my family will be treated fairly.

Very sincerely yours,

Ingimundur Kjarval

PS. My wife the artist painter "Temma Bell" is the daughter of Louisa Matthiasdottir the late Icelandic painter and the late American painter Leland Bell who both lived most of their lives in New York City. A show of Mrs. Matthiasdottir's paintings will be at the Scandinavian American foundation on Park Ave this fall, I very sincerely hope you can see that show.
Mrs. Matthiasdottir was a great admirer of yours and a fierce defender when ever I expressed political views against you, me a typical "middle age upstate white male New Yorker" and a Republican.
I will take the liberty of sending you an invitation as our Senator me being a secret admirer of you and your sophistication as a politician.
If you visit the Foreign ministry in Iceland you will see a painting by my mother in law my family donated. You will of course see paintings by my grandfather where ever you go in Iceland.